The Innovation Sustainable Hub (Polo Innovazione Sostenibile) is considered as a technology platform for research and innovation for the development of SOFC systems operating with syngas from waste and integrated with the Gasplasma® process.
The project involves the treatment of 60,000 tons/year of non-hazardous waste. This is a limited portion of the industrial waste generated in Trentino that will be processed in the system to produce energy.
Specifically, the waste material fed to the plant will be treated so as to:
- retrieve recyclable metals and plastics (5% of the initial volume of waste);
- transform the inorganic fraction of the waste into vitrified material in the form of flakes of basalt rock suitable to use in construction (about 15% of the initial volume of waste);
- transform the organic fraction of waste into syngas – clean synthetic gas suitable for generation of electricity (80% of the initial volume of waste):
- Either by gas engines in CHP process (first stage)
- Or through very high efficiency fuel cells (second stage)
On an annual basis the plant will generate the following estimated quantities of energy and heat:
- 63 million kilowatt hours of electrical energy – this is the consumption of 17,000 people. SOFCsyngas is available to provide this energy at a reduced price to other companies operating in the area of Casotte. Alternatively it will be exported to the grid.
- 10 megawatts of thermal energy – this is the energy generated by the boilers of 100 condos / public buildings. This heat can be used in agricultural facilities (greenhouses), nearby public buildings, warehouses and businesses in the area, largely affordable.